The Arc of Hannibal and Will Graham’s Relationship

 What specifically did I miss about the Arc of Hannibal and Will Graham’s relationship

It is really hard to tell, especially if I insist that it is strictly necessary for me to judge it as a whole free season, not in the middle of season 3. but I guess what makes season 3 weaker than season 1 and 2 is the lack of continuation of the atmosphere from season 1 and 2, aka the complete change of it. the rules of imaginary from season 1 and 2. but as well to change the behavior of the main leads.

I realize it in season 1 but I stay silent because… it is really difficult to find the depth of relationship I am looking for personally in the series. Let's just say that Hannibal was close to it.

 but it was not exactly what I wanted from it. but I stay silent, and for a reason - what I specifically search for is probably only possible if I myself create.

 with this big condition or a hook I enter worlds of other creators.

 then if I don't find the specifically deep connection of characters, I usually continue and I require some continuation and escalation of the relationship. I will remain silent for the time being about the continuation and escalation of the relationship, because let's just agree that the relationship between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter changed in between. We might even say that it developed.

Now I am going to speak loudly about one aspect of the relationship that I noticed and I don't really like.

And that is the shortcut to their suddenly deep and meaningful mutual… love…? Do you not want to drag this for some reason? I just feel like for the deep connection that they installed with them I would require some more episodes. Find me a list. It felt rushed and all of a sudden and even that I wouldn't mind but what I minded the most is the depth of it. it is as if all of a sudden it happened. and even though you are going to tell me that these things happen all of the sudden in real life, My butt, my objection t
hough is going to be - of course yes it happens but the realization especially indicates that such complex characters happen way too slowly.

 What is the point of all of a sudden wanting, craving, being loud and logging in to being more vulnerable than I was a few days ago?

It makes sense if you are running out of time, but in season 1 and 2 Hannibal wasn't really running out of time, so what is his excuse for signing for being vulnerable?

On the other hand from the point of view of Will Graham it makes even less sense. It's never even clearly stated that he has these deep and profound feelings towards Hannibal and on what ground.

 We can only logically deduce from what we know about Will that in scenario a, Hannibal is the more intelligent one who would be able to manipulate Will under certain circumstances to make him stay with himself.

Which from the point of view of Hannibal makes sense, because you need to remember - Will can understand many Cannibals and Killers, only on the other hand the only one who can understand Hannibal is Will. He would be stupid, as the creators of the series leads us to believe, if he didn't want to try to explore possibilities of befriending someone who can understand him so completely, like no one else and no one else did or is ever going to him that profoundly like Will does. That exceptional and rare is Will to Hannibal. But ironically* enough, what is so exceptional for Will in a friendship with Hannibal?

*Ironically because in the old days, in the traditional sense, the one who should benefit from befriending Hannibal would be Will, the good character. We wouldn't care about Hannibal at all. But hey you, today things get more and more complicated (and complex), so, nope, the one who is benefiting the most from their relationship is Hannibal. And we care about Hannibal. And cheer for him. Sometimes. And want his redemption. …sometimes.

Here we are speaking not only about ambiguous villains, but also about ambiguous heroes. Because Will is the most unreadable character from them all. But traditionally speaking, the most ambiguous and the most problematic character would, of course, be Hannibal.

Back to the track - the only questionable potential for benefit for Will’s side.

In scenario b, that according to me is standing more on our wishes and imaginations than on real facts from the series, Will in his handicaps is as lonely and sad as is Hannibal. So the whole relationship comes from both of them equally and it would exist even without manipulations and correction from Hannibal's side. It would come later maybe, but it would come. And it would come maybe in the way I imagine for them, in the way they would deserve and in the way that I would like to see more, but it would definitely require more time and patience on the character's side as well as on the creator's side. Creators would have to the characters come to the point instead of forcing it through their way so the characters could not move from it.


 But in scenario B, in my head Will would really have to be struggling with being on the spectrum of autism/too much of empathy, realising that it alienates him from others and he would have to miss social contact profoundly before falling for Hannibal. But for the love of me, I can't read it directly from the series. Did is why now, season 3 episode 4, 5 and 6, Plus changed tempo of the whole series and change of the imaginary everything that leads into the result of season 3 and how it looks like now - makes it a little bit surreal their relationship the form of it how it is now and how the characters came to it. As if it was not standing on real grounds or as if the first, foremost, biggest and only thing that Will really ever wanted to do - and then again from point of view over will it would make much more sense - was to catch and kill Hannibal.

But then again it would be out of character for Will, because he is not a cold blooded FBI agent or killer. Revenge might change him and push him to be more like Hannibal, or more looking-like Hannibal. But it is not who he is. It is not his true nature. It is not his biggest goal in his life to kill murders. He used to be a good character. You have to remember he did what he did because he believed that's right. That he helped the good cause.

 You remember my circle? What is so attractive for Hannibal on Will? - Where Hannibal ends, Will begins, where Will begins, Hannibal ends. They are complementary to each other. They are not the exotic same copies.

So the only thing that I actually mind about this series and that is so important for me is that I see their relationship creators presented to us especially in later episodes is not letting therir relationship to develop naturally, but Quickening the base by pushing them into “deep profound feelings” - a.k.a. some sort of a “ I can't help myself but….” relationship through a shortcut.

Anyways I hope for season 4 since the rumors already started.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About 10th episode of The Promise สัญญา I ไม่ลืม (Thailand, 2023)

A List of the Long Time Crush BL (LGBTQIA+ AudioVisuals SERIES DRAMA | 2023 edit)

BL genre

Old Fashion Cupcake (Japan, 2022) : So I Just Realized … How Doomed I Am.

How Youtube Treat Creators - part I.

Full of doubts, full of trust - Hannibal (2013-2014)

Zenra Meshi (BL, Japan, 2023) - episode 10

Promising project hopeful audiences - The Eighth Sense | 여덟번째감각 , 여덟번째 감각 (Korean series, BL, 2023)